Bookmark or Share Our Site:
There will be Blood ( Blood Mountain)
Proposed Event, NOT firm.
Mon May 2
|Public details: Camping on FR107 along the Coosa Backcountry Loop, hiking it (counter-clockwise) to the AT connector at Slaughter Gap, hiking up to Blood Mountain, sleeping in a nearby shelter, hiking back to Vogel State Park, possibly heading over to Brasstown Bald to hike the highest peak in GA (adding 1.2 miles of paved hiking to the trip), and driving home (ideally getting Ethiopian because it's been too long).
Expect an fit intermediate/hard level hike - it's a fairly low mileage (probably 15 or so split across a couple of days) at whatever speed you're comfortable with. However, there are some notable climbs here (like a ~2k ft gain over 3.5 miles) so please be able to do 10+ laps to the top of the Swamp comfortably!
Parking at Vogel is $5 a car,
(Try and pack as light as possible!)
2. Sleeping pad
3. Sleeping bag
4. Food for the two days (2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, 1 OAR style potluck dinner, and snacks for energy)
6. Water - At least 2L, in reusable containers, no more than 4L
7. Water Filter
8. Sturdy Shoes you feel comfortable in
10. Non-cotton clothing, gloves, and head protection (beanie or a balaclava)
11. 2-3 pairs of warm non-cotton socks (wool would be best)
12. Tent or Hammock if you don't want to use the shelter